Thursday, April 17, 2008

What's In A Name?

Hey All! Nandu is back.. right here. Where we were is another story altogether; we will come to that later.
“Nandu/Nandi” is not herself anymore! She’s changed… at least the “name” part.
Hold on.. hold on..
Nandu has changed her name.
Now, isn’t that funny?
About until acouple of months back, she used to say “Nandu” or at least “Nandi” when somebody asked what her name was. (Her official name being Nandana). Then it happened! She returned from school one day claiming “Amma, you are not Nandu amma anymore!”
“Huh??” I wasn’t sure if I heard it right. She said, “Amma, you will not call me Nandu or Nandi anymore”.
Atthis, my jaw dropped. I tried hard not to bump against the van which tried overtaking from my left. Err..yes, I was driving!
I responded, “But why Nandu?”
She says, “No, nothing much; only that I changed myname to something better.”
But.. but why? What’s wrong with Nandu? And, who changed the name? And.. what’s your name now?”. I couldn’t help reducing the number of questions.
“Oh! That’s nothing. Isn’t Nandu a boring name? Anyways Arjun felt so. So, we decided together. And the new name is Crayons.”
While I was thinking on how to respond, she went on, “So, you won’t be Nandu’s amma anymore; Acha will not be Nandu acha. You will be Crayons amma, and so with acha too.”
The next couple of weeks were tough. We were bitten, pinched, kicked, shouted at if we ever mentioned Nan! So, we have all migrated - at least He, me, my mom, and my cousins.
The following are anecdotes of a couple of interesting encounters we had after Nandu became Crayons:

Crayons was down with a cold, and when Ammu (my mother) took her to the doctor:

Doc: You are such a sweet girl! What’s your name?
She: Crayons.
Doc: Huh?
She:C-r-r-y-y-n-s (Spells out.); Crayons.
Doc: Oh! That’s a lovely name; Do you go to school?
She: Yes, to Jomal (The actual name being Joethal.)
Doc: Ok! Good; so, who’s your best friend?
She: Paper.
Doc:Oh! Good God!

Tell me people, Do I need anything else to take pride???

We went to acha’s cousin’s place, where we saw an old granny; a distant relation. See what follows:

Granny: Do you sing?
She: No; not to you. (We frown.)
Granny: Ok, at least tell me your name?
She: Crayons.
Granny: What???
She: CRAYONS. (Yes, she shouts.)
Granny: What is that?
She: Don’t tell me you do not know what crayons are!
Following this, the granny asks us, and before we could explain:
She: C-R-R-Y-N-S.
Granny: Oh! All I can call you is Cra-cra.
It was Crayons’ turn to frown next!

No comments: