Friday, October 26, 2007

Sweet Nothings


“Nandu…Nandu….”, I would have to cry out at the top of my voice. Yeah! I can see her there, the window curtain barely covering her till her neck; NO! I should not acknowledge her. I should act panicky, my each “Nandu” growing into a loud scream. And then, she would run out from her hide with an excited “Amma!” Now, I need to act relieved.

* * * * * * * * * * *

Me: Nandu, patti kutty. (Nandu is a puppy).
She: Amma patti kutty. (Amma is a puppy).
Me: Nee chakkara. (You are like jaggery).
She: Pakshe, amma patti kutty. (But, amma is a puppy)

* * * * * * * * * * *

Me: Nandu! We are going out. Shoo shoo? (Do you want to loo?)
She: No amma! Nandu shoo shoo venda. (Nandu does not want to go to the loo)
We set out; Half-way through:
She: Amma shoo shoo ponam (I want to go)
Me: Nandu, I asked you before, didn’t I?
She: Amma.. please shoo shoo.
Me: We’ll reach in some time.
She: Amma ippo ponam. (I want to go now).
And there; I park the car and she “goes” on the pavement! She has so far officially “gone” on pavements, road-sides, restaurants, trains, airplanes, parks, beach; and the list is un-ending!

No comments: