Monday, May 21, 2007

I Hope She Never Inherits This


It was pappa dear's birthday yesterday, and Nandy's star birthday the day before. That day all of us wished her so many times that she claimed it was her birthday yesterday too, and wanted us to wish her and not pappa dear!
Somehow, both pappa and she got their gifts from granny yesterday.
I insisted that we buy her small storybooks, as I wanted her to start liking books. I know its a little too early, but, wanted to instigate the reading habit in her. So, I chose 2 nice hard-binded goodnight storybooks for her. Apart from her rhymes and picture books, I've bought her 2-3 books on Noddy, but she has "read" them so well that they are all in bits and pieces now!
And, thank God! she was taking the new books around to granny, asking her to read them out. Yippee! am so relieved..because I was a little scared whether Nandy would inherit the "reading skills" from pappa!
Me and pappa are always in opposite poles, and the same holds good in reading too. He does not read. No, he isn't illiterate, but he "reads" only The Hindu, and maybe books on C# and DotNet. Nothing more.
When we were newly wed, I remember having tried to make him start reading, and suggested a novel to him. He read half of it, that too because I kept pushing, and then asked me to tell him the story of the rest! Also, reading is a pretty costly affair as far as he is concerned - he has to buy the book if he wants to read any as no library would lend books out for years together! And then, when the book lovers of the world were talking a lot about the Da Vinci Code, he made it a point to buy the book. He started reading it when I was 5 months pregnant, and finished when Nandy was 5 months old!
And when I said he can’t read, include the fact that he can’t read aloud as well. Punctuation marks don’t exist for him and he has no idea why they are used. He pauses only when he’s out of breath. It’s so annoying to listen to him read that I am in denial that he is my husband whenever he reads!
I remember some students in my class at school who weren't good at reading and I used to think so high of myself and used to act like a snob when they were around. They formed a club, chose their president and 10 years later sent his horoscope to my parents. I can hear them laughing even now! Anyway, he does'nt read my blog or any other blog for that matter. I have to ask him everyday, “Did you read my blog today?” He will say no and I will read it to him. I would say, “haven't my blogging skills improved now?”. And there, I might have to sprinkle water on him, and pull him into the bed, so that he can resume the sleep!
If he were'nt good looking, maybe we would not have come together for life!!!